Tuesday, June 2, 2020

The Community

Promotion of Social Justice - Arizona Trauma Institute



As I laid in bed my mind began to seek solutions to the disconnect we have as a society. Without stating the obvious and relying only on the history of my ancestors and forefathers I sought more answers. This led me to wonder at what point did the word, "community" become heavily race based? Has social capital: one in which the individual person, rather than the group, become primary?
As an African American who grew up in a neighborhood that included other races, were they not apart of the "community". Attending schools and universities that included different races where in some I was the majority and in others I was the minority was I still not apart of the "community"? As someone who has resided in different parts of the country where other races also resided were we not a "community"? As an educator who has served on campuses full of different races were we and are we not a "community"?
This week observing a world of different races protesting together to stop social injustices that are primarily occurring to one race at a high level gives me hope. It gives me hope that the word, "community" can get back to meaning a group of people that care about each other and feel they belong together. A group of people that care about the same goal. More than anything a group of people who have trusted relationships with each other.
I feel communities should address one of the most fundamental human needs: we want to be loved, we don’t want to be lonely and we want to know that we belong somewhere. When people care about each other, they develop trust. And trust unlocks love, collaboration, sharing, support, hope, safety and much more.
I do believe communities can still have different and shared goals as well. For example, the internal purpose of a community (we take care of each other) and the external purpose (we have a collective goal) can create positive change. I believe that every community needs to have an internal purpose first, to truly function as a community. However, without strong leadership, unbiased trust and healthy relationships this connection and transformation cannot happen.
As I close I reflected on the song, "We Are One" by Frankie Beverly and Maze and the lyrics:
"We are one no matter what we do, We are one love will see us through, We are one and that's the way it is."
Praying for Us All

No comments:

Post a Comment